By Melissa McGarvey, Vice President of Aquatics, British Swim School
Did you know that British Swim School not only offers lessons for infants, children and youth, but that we also set ourselves apart from other swim schools by offering our distinctive take on full lessons for adults?
Our adult program has three levels:
- Water Acclimation – for those hesitant around water
- Water Survival – for the inexperienced
- Stroke Development – for the advanced
Our instructors give you personal attention to help strengthen areas of your swimming where you need some guidance regardless of what level you are at.
At any level, swimming is a great way to maintain your health as you age – you can improve your stamina and burn calories for a low impact, easily sustainable activity.
And, did you know that with over 54% of Americans are unable to swim well enough to save themselves, let alone someone else? Additionally, learning and improving your swim skills will also provide a good example for children and youth to follow.
The Sad Drowning Facts
- Every day, ten people die from unintentional drowning
- Drowning is the third leading unintentional cause of death worldwide
- 77% of all drowning deaths in the US in 2010 were adults who were 20+ years old
How do you know if you have the skills to save yourself? Can you:
- Float or tread water for 1 minute
- Spin around in water and find a way out
- Get out of a pool without a ladder
- Swim 1 pool length without stopping
- Jump into deep water and come up for air
If you cannot perform all of the above skills, it’s likely that you will be unable to save yourself in an emergency water situation.
If you can perform all five skills and are an experienced swimmer, that’s great! If you’re looking for further skills, we also assist adult triathletes with stroke development to improve their times and to make them more comfortable in the swim portion of their event.
British Swim School has been successful in working with people of every swimming level. Our goal is for you to feel safe and comfortable in the water. Find the nearest pool to you and sign up for an Adult Class today!