BSS Cares Campaign
We believe in our mantra “Survival of the Littlest,” always. The BSS Cares Campaign was developed in consultation with industry experts, recommendations put forth by the CDC and OSHA and the guidance of state and local leaders in your communities, and encompasses the health and safety modifications to our program, continuing British Swim School’s commitment to providing everyone with a clean environment that enables our critical mission of water safety for students of all ages and abilities.
Please review our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) below, and be sure to reach out to the owners of your local British Swim School for more details on the current protocols, as these may vary based on state, local and pool partner requirements and guidelines.
Health & Safety FAQ
Are all British Swim School locations open?
The majority of our swim school locations are open and fully operational, while a few are pending a re-opening following the lead of state/provincial and local governments. For the very latest, please contact your local British Swim School for more details by location and by pool.
Can the virus that causes COVID-19 be spread through pools?
The CDC have stated that there is no evidence that COVID-19 can be spread through the water in pools, hot tubs, spas or water play areas. Proper operation and maintenance (including regular disinfection with chlorine and bromine) of these facilities will normally deactivate the virus in the water. Please refer to the CDC’s guidelines for pool facilities, which our team is using to guide our policies and recommendations.
Why is it important to return to swimming lessons?
As our lives begin to regain some normalcy, learning how to survive a water incident and also experiencing the fun of learning to swim make it one of the most important activities to return to! Survival and swim techniques are pivotal in preventing drowning and near-drowning incidents, with as much as an 88% reduction in drowning for those who have completed formal swim instruction.
What safety precautions is British Swim School employing to protect the personal health of myself and my child?
- Our Instructors and team members will not be permitted to work if they are feeling unwell or have any symptoms of illness, or if they are not fully vaccinated and have been in contact with anyone who is unwell or has exhibited COVID-19 symptoms.
- If you or your child are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19, or have come into contact with anyone with a confirmed or suspected case of the virus please notify us before returning to class. We ask that anyone exhibiting any signs of illness stay home until you have fully recovered. In some instances, we may ask you to obtain medical clearance to resume lessons.
- All pool decks will have access to proper hand washing equipment. Where soap and water are not easily accessible at the pool, sanitation stations will be available.
- Staff members will be using appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) equipment as recommended/mandated by CDC and state/local guidelines. Please contact your local British Swim School for additional details.
How will British Swim School keep each location clean?
- For the health and well-being of our students, parents and instructors alike, we have always maintained a rigorous standard of cleaning in coordination with our pool partners and we will continue to follow the guidelines of the CDC and state/provincial and local authorities when it comes to public health considerations, guidelines and cleaning recommendations.
- We continue to meet with each of our pool partners to confirm that pool chemical levels will be maintained and frequently checked. Please contact your local British Swim School owner for cleaning measures and safety precautions for your specific pool location.
What modifications will be made to the program to accommodate health needs?
- The teaching fundamentals at the heart of our aquatics program will not change, so your child will still love being in lessons with us. However, in addition to the safety precautions mentioned above, adjustments to the delivery of our program will be made if necessary and tailored to the situation of each local market.
- Our goal is to return, when safe to do so, to our traditional swim family interaction and closer contact – key to our gentle, fun and progressive offering.
What can students and parents do to maintain the cleanliness of each location?
- We encourage all students to shower prior to lessons to help us maintain the chemicals used in the pool.
- If you, or anyone you have come into close contact with are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or any flu-like virus, please notify the local team of your absence and do not attend the class.
- In general, if you are sick or exhibiting symptoms of any illness, we ask that you fully recover before returning to lessons.