After another slog of a winter, spring is finally starting to set in, and before you know it, you’ll be gearing up for another happy, humid summer. Swimming is an excellent way to enjoy some summertime fun together and get the kids nice and tired before bed. Whether you’re heading to cottage country or the local pool in Mississauga, now is your chance to review some pool safety tips.
Pool Safety Basics Every Family Member Should Know
Even if your family has spent every summer by the water, you have nothing to lose by brushing up on pool safety basics — and everything to gain. Drowning is one of the biggest threats facing young children and can even happen when a parent is present. So, as uncomfortable as it is to think about, it’s best for everyone in the family to take pool safety seriously.
Some basic tips that family members of every age should include before the jump in the pool include:
- Never leave a child unattended in or by the water.
- Instruct everyone not to run anywhere near the water, and not to dive into shallow areas.
- Encourage your kids to use a buddy system when they go swimming, but don’t count on one child to look after another.
- Watch your children at all times, even if you think they’re good swimmers.
- Take CPR training so you can take immediate action before emergency personnel get to the scene.
- Inspect the water first if you can’t see one of your kids.
- Make sure an adult is always monitoring the water and ready to jump in if a child is in trouble.
- Try to avoid drinking or looking at your phone when your kids are in the water so you can react quickly if something isn’t right.
- Sign everyone up for swimming lessons, but don’t assume that a child isn’t at risk just because they’ve taken lessons.
Find Swimming Classes in the Mississauga Area
At British Swim School Greater Toronto, pool safety and water competency are the cornerstones of our swimming lessons for people of all ages. Our classes are available throughout the year, and we incorporate fun and gentle techniques to teach you essential skills.
If you live in Mississauga, Brampton, Lakeview, Meadowvale, Churchville, or a nearby CA town, call us today at (289) 569-1444 to learn more pool safety basics and to sign up for our classes.