The outbreak of COVID-19 led to the abrupt halt of swimming lessons throughout Downtown Chicago. With Illinois beginning to lift restrictions to allow aquatics venues to reopen for swimming lessons, many families are asking an important question: Are swimming lessons safe during COVID-19?
The CDC has stated that “There is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can be spread to people through the water in pools, hot tubs, or water playgrounds. Additionally, proper operation of these aquatic venues and disinfection of the water (with chlorine or bromine) should inactivate the virus.”
In addition to chemical monitoring of the pool, aquatics venues must also ensure that safety measures are in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19 along the pool deck and throughout the facility. At British Swim School of Downtown Chicago, we have implemented rigorous health and safety protocols so families can return to swimming lessons in a safe and effective manner!
COVID-19 Swimming Lesson Modifications in Downtown Chicago
Industry expert encourage families to continue to prioritize water safety and survival training despite the current COVID-19 outbreak. With less swimming instruction and many families taking advantage of backyard pools and other outdoor water activities, there is concern that drownings will be on the rise during COVID-19. While swimming lessons should not be viewed as drown-proofing, studies have shown that formal swim instruction can reduce the risk of drowning by as much as 88%!
We are committed to providing everyone with a clean and sterilized environment that enables families to continue learning how to swim. Per local/state regulations and COVID guidelines, we have made necessary changes to our policies and procedures. Please take a moment to read through all of them.
- All families must download the BSS App and update the waiver before their child can swim.
- Please enter through the front door and exit through the back door.
- Swimmers are asked to arrive ready in their swimsuits and leave in their swimsuits. Bring a bathrobe or towel for after the lesson.
- We reserve the Right to take body temperature upon admittance.
- Showers and changing cabanas have been closed until further notice.
- Masks are required to enter the facility. Once you are situated in your distanced seat masks may be removed. If you move around, go to the restroom, or enter the pool area to pick up your child, you must put the mask back on.
- One adult or guardian per family, please. No extra visitors or spectators.
- Parents are asked to meet their child in the pool area and immediately exit the building.
- Swim caps are required! Cap wearing is important to identify the student, to help keep the pool & filtration clean, and to keep hair out of swimmers’ face and eyes. Spare caps cannot be issued at this time.
- Retail snacks and beverages have been eliminated until further notice. Please bring your own water bottle.
- Hand sanitizer stations have been added.
- All toys, swim rings, noodles will be sanitized between uses. All touchpoints (door handles and chairs) will also be routinely sanitized.
- Please note, that we have lessened the number of swimmers per class. We have classes spaced 6’ apart.
- If you have a Seahorse, one parent per child must sit behind the child on the pool deck. With Swimboree and Tadpole levels, one parent per child may be in water with child.
- If there is a diaper, vomit or blood accident, the British Swim School staff will determine the length of pool closure and appropriate make-ups will be scheduled. We do our best to text/call our swim families immediately if sudden pool closure is necessary.
We have always been a program based on safety, and we continue to do what is best for our swimmers, our swim families, and our staff. Should you have any questions regarding the new policies and procedures, please contact our office staff at 708-613-5179.
What Are Our Families Saying About Their Experience Upon Return?
Learning to swim is a critical life skill and the COVID-19 pandemic has upended the routines of families enrolled in formal swim lessons. Industry experts encourage families to continue to prioritize survival swimming lessons, with the understand that modifications will need to be temporarily put in place in order to reduce the risks presented by COVID-19. As we welcome families back into our pools, we are thrilled to hear of an overall positive experience and comfortability with the protocols and modifications we’ve implemented to keep students, parents and staff safe during swimming lessons!
“Lovely instructors and staff. Clean facility and they are enforcing all the social distancing guidelines. Highly recommended!” – Adam P., Parent
Our families recognize that their children must still learn how to swim, and many are eager to resume learning. This is a critical life skill that can prevent drowning and near-drowning incidents!
Ready to Get Started? We have COVID-19 Safety Protocols in Place!
At British Swim School of Downtown Chicago, your child can enroll in swimming lessons as early as 3 months old. Enroll online or contact our local customer service team for more information. Our pools attract families from Chicago Loop, Skokie, Evanston, Hyde Park, Rogers Park, Southlake and the surrounding Downtown Chicago areas!