Are you fun, reliable, punctual, focused, nurturing, and energetic?
Are you looking for a job that is fun, exciting, fast-paced, involves sports, and teaching children new skills, then British Swim School is just what you’re looking for!
Since we started in DuPage and Cook counties in 2009, British Swim School has grown to be the premier water survival and learn-to-swim school. We have locations in Oak Brook, Elmhurst, Broadview, and the Chicago Midway area. Our mission is “To ensure that every person, regardless of age or ability, has the opportunity to become a safe and happy swimmer”.
We offer part-time positions with flexible work schedules and hours. While this is not a seasonal position, we encourage and welcome students to apply! We understand school comes first and are more than willing to work around school schedules.
The positions we are currently hiring for are:
As a British Swim School instructor, you are responsible for teaching children and adults to become safe and happy swimmers, regardless of age or ability. You do this by following the British Swim School approved teaching curriculum. This curriculum ensures that each student in our program initially learns water survival skills and then progresses to propulsion and stroke development.
It is your responsibility to convey British Swim School philosophy and to ensure that all students feel safe and secure while you are conducting lessons.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Arriving for work at least 15 minutes before the start of lessons to help with setup and to check that the site is clean and ready for classes.
- Being correctly dressed in BSS uniform and prepared pool-side 5 minutes before the start of your first lesson.
- Following correct teaching methods as detailed in the BSS teacher training manual and as directed by the Aquatics Directors and Aquatics Managers.
- Ensuring classes run smoothly, children are wearing the correct color swim cap and that you maintain a high level of awareness to ensure your students’ safety during lesson time.
- Being aware and implementing new procedures and training methods.
- Attending regular staff meetings as requested by your Site Manager.
- Informing the Site Manager of any maintenance issues that need addressing.
- Greeting all clients and ensuring that children are properly enrolled in classes and with their assigned teacher.
- Being aware of emergency procedures.
- Arranging a substitute to cover your classes will not be permitted between May and September.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- You are to be versed and competent in all levels and abilities of teaching swimming from infant parent/child classes, toddlers to advanced swimmers.
- Monitoring of your classes, student move-ups to next level, and your personal teaching quality in the water to ensure a safe and fun learning environment.
- Knowledge of Swim School Operations including all aspects of BSS teacher training manual.
- Good verbal communication skills, bilingual a plus for some areas.
Swim Instructors must be willing to work overtime, holidays, and weekends as required by business needs and as requested by management.