Keep Pool Safety Top of Mind for Your Family in Oceanside
You may think you have it down when it comes to pool safety, especially if your kids have grown up near the water in Oceanside, CA. However, you can never be too careful when it comes to protecting your kids around the water. As awful as it is to think about, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 10 people in the U.S. die from drowning every day, and one-fifth of them are under the age of 14.
How You Can Put Pool Safety First This Summer
There are several ways to better prepare the whole family before school ends for the summer, and the season of beach days and pool parties truly begins. Learning CPR, signing everyone up for swimming lessons, and going over basic rules like no running by the pool and no entering the water without supervision can all help you get ready in advance.
Once everyone is ready to actually hit the water, you should also keep the following pool safety tips in mind. If you’re taking the kids to a water park, public pool, or the beach:
- Always keep an eye on them yourself or have another adult watch them whenever they’re in or by the water.
- Avoid distractions like texting or posting on social media. Accidents can happen in an instant and you need to be ready to act.
- If you lose sight of your kids, check the water before looking anywhere else.
- Remember that even strong swimmers can struggle, especially if there are tons of people in the water. Don’t assume that your kids don’t need supervision because they know how to swim.
If you own a pool:
- Put up a fence if possible that is at least four feet high with self-latching gates that small children can’t open.
- Make sure there are ladders on both ends of the pool, and that they’re at least three inches wide with grips on each side for children.
Register for Swimming Lessons in the Oceanside Area
At British Swim School Carlsbad, our swimming instructors can teach everyone in the family how to be safe and stay afloat in the water. If you live in Oceanside, Carlsbad, San Marcos, Encinitas, or Vista, call us today at (760) 281-3123 to learn more about pool safety basics or to sign up for lessons.